ADAC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Highland Way Support Team required.

Go down

West Highland Way Support Team required. Empty West Highland Way Support Team required.

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:50 am

A message from Adrian.

This year, Im taking part in my first SUMS which stands for the Scottish Ultra Marathon Series. It runs like the clubs winter league. There is various Ultras throughout April to September where participants can run a minimum of 4 races to be involved in the league though, you can run all of them, approx 9, but only the best 4 scores will be used.

Its gonna be a long hard year but the club runs have helped motivate and quicken my pace dramatically.

Anyhow, back to the West Highland Way Race, the race commences at 01:00 hrs on Saturday 18th June, I will be running 95 miles from Milngavie to Fort William and have 35 hrs to complete the race. The route follows the entire West Highland Way and includes approx 14000 ft of Ascent. It is compulsory for all runners to have a motorised support team of at least two people who will be responsible for tracking my progress, be able to locate/assist me if required and mainly ensure that I get fed, clothed properly and provided with first Aid if required ie blister repair etc etc.Then when things get bad they will be responsible for keeping me going, motivating me and putting up with a lot of mood swings/swearing. On the course I have to reach 6 ckeck points within certain time restraints. At each check point I have to sign in with the race marshall. It is a requirement that the support team meet me at each check point. Within the motorised support team compulsory equipment is required to be carried ie Map, Compass, Torch and food & clothing for myself. A set of Scales are also carried and at each check point I will be weighed. If I am overweight or under weight I could get removed from the race on instruction of a race marshall, ie due to over hydration or dehydration. WHW Race is usually renowned for over Hydration which hospitalised 3 people last year. One seriously with liver failure.

I have two volunteers already, Iain Povey and his wife. Iain works with me and is a seasoned club vet who runs the Fells. On the last stage it is required that someone runs this stage with me for safety reasons. Iain is hoping to do this but if he drops out or has an injury there could be a space for a willing runner.
Bottom line is Iain hasnt got the time off confirmed yet so Im aimimg to try a get a support team of at least four, in case anyone drops out last thing, for family/personal reasons. If I have no support team, I aint running.

Its a big committment and a big ask for me to expect people to give up there weekend to look after me, all I can say is, I will provide all the equipment required and will compensate anyone using their own vehicle ie fuel/expense. I will be looking at booking a cottage that will accommodate everyone involved at no cost to the support crew and will make sure I reward everyone with lots of Ale at the end.

If you want to use my old email address, which is still active, beardiebrie@o2.co.uk.

There is loads of information on the West Highland Way Race site, with maps of the route, check points, info for support teams and a medical briefing. see

http://www.westhighlandwayrace.org/

Finally, I attended a race briefing in Edinburgh a few weeks ago which can be viewed on the WHW race site, via the forum page. Anyone interested would find this very informative ref medical issues, the race itself and the problems that could/have been encountered.

Well, thats enough of my ramblings, I know its a big ask. You never know, it might inspire some of you to run the WHW the following year............if their MAD.

All the best

Adrian

Back to top Go down

West Highland Way Support Team required. Empty Re: West Highland Way Support Team required.

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:50 am

WOW Surprised Shocked

Good luck Adrian - I'm not sure I'll be able to offer any support other than moral but it's sure to be one hell of an adventure - you have my respect for even thinking about it - I hope it al goes well for you.

Andy

Back to top Go down

West Highland Way Support Team required. Empty Re: West Highland Way Support Team required.

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:31 am

Yikes thats some challenge Adrian I thought running was supposed to be fun What a Face joking Very Happy

I agree with all that Andy says you must be brave or either stupid you know what they say about these fell runners they have to have nerves of steel I guess thats what you will need in abundance .
Also like Andy Alan & I can offer you plenty moral support but unfortunately we have a busy week that week - going to see Bon Jovi I love you so cant offer to help out on route but will certainly be thinking of you .

Caroline

Back to top Go down

West Highland Way Support Team required. Empty West Highland Way Support Team required.

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Well, Adrian that's some challenge.
I can offer you my moral support along with Andy n Caroline.
But if you want one of the reporters at my work to get in touch and do a feature piece that might give you a wider audience in terms of getting a team of helpers.
Andrew K

Back to top Go down

West Highland Way Support Team required. Empty West Highland Way Support Team Required

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks to everyone for your support so far. It is a big commitment to give up a weekend helping some lunatic headcase endure a weekend of running hell. rabbit Further volunteers may be required as stretcher bearers the week after unless the men in the white coats get to me first. clown

Main thing is I survive the year and dont get

"shot down in a blaze of glory"
(bon jovi sang that didnt he) Question scratch

Adrian

PS Andy K thats certainly something to consider. I will keep you updated on how things progress this month and get back to you. sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:34 am

Ok here we go................I think you've started something here Adrian.

If I attempted the race I would be "livin' on a prayer" to finish it

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down